Hiram Chittenden Locks and Fish Ladder**
|Location||3015 NW 54th St., Seattle, WA 98107|
The Hiram M. Chittenden Locks, built in 1911 and often nicknamed the Ballard Locks, provides a link for boats between the salt water of Puget Sound and the fresh water of the Ship Canal, which connects eastward to Lake Union and Lake Washington.
Tourists and locals enjoy watching the parade of sailboats, motorboats, tugs, barges and yachts passing through, as the locks’ water levels are adjusted to allow their safe passage.
Another popular spot is the fish ladder, built to allow salmon to pass between fresh and salt water, and to navigate the locks. Glass panels below the water line make it possible to watch the fish as they swim through the ladder.
Just north of the locks are the Carl S. English, Jr. Botanical Garden, perfect for a relaxing stroll all year round, and the Visitor Center, which features displays on the history and operations of the Lake Washington Ship Canal.
Operated by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, the locks were formally opened on July 4, 1917, although the first ship passed on August 3, 1916. They were named after U.S. Army Major Hiram Martin Chittenden, the Seattle District Engineer for the Corps of Engineers from April 1906 to September 1908. They were added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1978.
•Take Interstate 5 northbound and get off at Exit 169 •At stop light, turn left onto NE 45th Street going westbound. •Follow 45th Street through intersection. •Take a slight right onto N Midvale Place, then continue onto N 46th Street. Stay in right lane and go under the Aurora overpass. •Continue West on 46th, which curves into NW Market Street. •Follow NW Market westbound across 15th Ave NW and through the Ballard business district. •At Taco Time bear left onto NW 54th Street. •Turn left immediately after the Lockspot Cafe.