e-Go Congress FAQ
Table of Contents
What is the cost of the e-Go Congress?
- There is no cost for participating in any of the tournaments or watching any of the broadcasts.
- There is no cost for attending any of the beginner teaching events.
What are the beginner events?
- These events are designed for beginners (25 kyu or below, especially folks who need to learn the rules!).
- You do not even need to register for beginner events!
Will my games be rated?
- Right now, the AGA does not have issue ratings for online games. Although this may change in the future, it will not change in time for the e-Go Congress.
Do I need to enter based on my rating on online go servers?
- Short answer: no. All ratings will be done by AGA rating. If you have an AGA rating, you cannot enter below that rating. If you do not have an AGA rating, or feel that you are stronger than your AGA rating, then you can use this chart to guess what your AGA rating should be.
Do I have to play in all of the games if I register for a tournament?
- You do not have to play in all of the games. HOWEVER if you do not let the TD know that you will take a bye for a round (and we recommend waiting for confirmation), then you will forfeit that round. You will then not be paired again until you talk to the TD.
I registered already, but now I need to change my registration. How do I do that?
- When you registered, you should have received a confirmation email from Google Forms (check your spam filter if you don’t see it). That confirmation should contain a record of what you registered for, as well as a link to change your registration.
What if I haven’t found a Pair Go partner, but I want to play in the tournament?
- If you are still looking for a Pair Go partner, you can use this form to see who else is still looking for a partner. Note: you provide information at your own risk. The AGA will not provide anyone’s information to this document, nor do we take responsibility for information that is provided. If the document causes problems, it will be disabled.
I’m not familiar with all of the servers you’re using. Where can I learn more abut how to play on them?
- The AGA makes every reasonable effort to be server neutral. Therefore the AGA will be running tournaments on three different servers: OGS, KGS, and Pandanet.
- To register on OGS and get around the site during congress, check out the 2020 e-Go Congress Handbook for OGS: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lMQVoE5t1jWpqPXUbu7yK_fcQ7XvZ0LvxHuMe3WPNiY/edit?usp=sharing. This document provides detailed explanations and answers to frequently asked questions.
- The AGA will be broadcasting live on Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/usgoweb (videos will later be posted to YouTube).
- AGA video conferencing will happen through Zoom – this is particularly important for the Beginner Lessons and the Hangouts.
As a member of the IGF (International Go Federation), the AGA recognizes membership reciprocity with other IGF member organizations, a list of which can be found here.
I live in the US, but I am not a member of the AGA. Do I have to join, and if so, how do I join?
- If your current country of residence is the US, then you need to be a member of the AGA to play in the main tournaments. You can join the AGA here. Not sure if you may have been a member in the past? You can look yourself up by last name here, and can log into your account (or reset your password) here.
- AGA membership costs $10/year for youth through age 22, and $30/year for adult membership. There are discounts available for multi-year membership. Payments are not self-renewing – you will need to renew your membership when it expires.
- For people living in the US, membership will be rigorously checked.
I don’t live in the US, and I’m not a member of my country’s association – can I play in the e-Go Congress?
I don’t live in the US, and I’m not sure if I’m a member of my country’s association. I play in tournaments in my country, does that count?
If your country does not require membership and has awarded you a rating or other mark of participation and “membership,” then that is sufficient to meet the membership requirement.
I don’t live in the US, but I’m interested in joining the AGA. Can I do so?
- Absolutely – people from anywhere in the world may join the AGA.
- You can join the AGA here. AGA membership costs $10/year for youth through age 22, and $30/year for adult membership. There are discounts available for multi-year membership. Payments are not self-renewing – you will need to renew your membership when it expires.
I want to play Pair Go with someone who is new to playing go. Do they have to join an association to play?
You do not need to be a member of an association to play in Pair Go, the 9x9 tournament, or any beginner events. We encourage new go players to play in these events.
Which events require membership, and which do not?
No membership is required to observe tournaments or broadcasts. We welcome everyone from around the world to tune in to watch!